music on a may afternoon

|
It’s taken me a long time to get to grips with classical music. At times I thought I’d never really ‘get it’, whatever that elusive ‘it’ was. But in the last 18 months or so I’ve amassed four classical CDs:

Cecilia Bartoli – Gluck Italian Arias
S.Rachmaninov – Vespers
Mozart – The Marriage of Figaro
Beethoven – Late String Quartets

I’m not sure if there’s a pattern emerging in my purchases, perhaps a classical buff could tell me. What the four have in common is an ability to touch something deep in my centre, my heart…my soul, if you like. I feel a response…something stirs. The only other music that does this to me is Jazz; Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis and Charlie Parker are my holy trio.

Punk rock also stirs me but the feeling comes from the lower section of my body, the groin, the abdomen, powerful, aggressive, different to (and no less valid than) classical and jazz.

0 comments: